Gianni Infantino confirmed Iran's World Cup place after weeks of public doubt. The FIFA President said sport should stay separate from politics. His April 17 comments addressed Iran's tournament status directly. They also kept the World Cup schedule on its current path.
Infantino's message on Iran's place
Infantino said Iran had qualified and should attend the tournament. He also said the players want to be there. The message came after public discussion about possible replacements. Iraq had been mentioned as a possible alternative.
The answer was direct enough to steady planning. FIFA had already faced calls to move Iran's games. A proposal to shift matches to Mexico did not move forward. Iran's United States World Cup schedule remains listed.
How the schedule is affected
Iran is scheduled to play group matches in Los Angeles and Seattle. One listed match is against New Zealand at Los Angeles Stadium. Iran also has games against Belgium and Egypt at Seattle Stadium. Its base camp is expected near Tucson, Arizona.
The decision matters because tournament operations are already advanced. Teams, venues, broadcasters, and fans need certainty. Iran's status now gives planners a fixed path. Any later change would create major logistical pressure.
Why FIFA's stance matters
The 2026 edition is the first World Cup with 48 teams. That scale makes stability more important across World Cup host cities. Political pressure can still surround national teams. FIFA's public line is that qualification should stand.
Infantino also expressed hope for a calmer wider situation before kickoff. That does not remove the public sensitivity around the case. It does define FIFA's current tournament position. For now, Iran remains part of Group G planning.
The operational pressure around Group G
Group G now keeps its current planning shape. Iran can prepare for New Zealand, Belgium, and Egypt without a replacement debate. Venues can also continue working from confirmed team schedules.
The case still carries political sensitivity. FIFA is choosing continuity because Iran earned qualification on the field. That position keeps football operations separate from the wider dispute.
Why the wording was important
Infantino did more than confirm a fixture line. He framed Iran's case around qualification and player rights. That wording helps explain why FIFA is holding its position.
The comments also give tournament partners a public reference point. Venues, broadcasters, and travel planners can point to a fixed decision. That matters when the issue remains politically sensitive.
FIFA still has to manage the public reaction. The football decision is clear for now. The wider debate around Iran will likely continue during the buildup.
The statement also helps opponents plan with less uncertainty. New Zealand, Belgium, and Egypt can prepare for the team already listed in the group. That matters for scouting and camp logistics. A late replacement would change travel, tactical preparation, and public expectations around the group.
Frequently Asked Questions
What did Gianni Infantino say about Iran?
He said Iran has to come because the team qualified. He also said sport should stay separate from politics.
Is Iran still in World Cup 2026?
Yes, Iran remains in the tournament plan. Its listed group matches are still in the United States.
Where will Iran play its group matches?
Iran is scheduled for games in Los Angeles and Seattle. Its base camp is expected near Tucson, Arizona.
Infantino's stance gives organizers a clearer path. The next test is whether that certainty holds through kickoff.
The key detail is that Iran's place is being treated as earned qualification. That keeps the competitive field stable. It also avoids a late replacement debate that would affect three opponents. FIFA now has to manage the public pressure around that decision.
Stay tuned to FWCLive.com for the latest FIFA World Cup 2026 updates.
Read Also: FIFA World Cup 2026 prize money set to rise after cost complaints